GSU Health and Dental Plans
- Opt-in/Opt-out period for Winter 2022: 6 January to 27 January
- International students who live outside of Canada are not eligible for Green Shield coverage and must opt-out from both Greenshield Canada Health and Dental insurance before 27 January 2022.
- •To opt-out of the foreign health insurance (Guard Me) plan and opt into the Green Shield Canada health insurance plan, visit the Internationalization Office website and follow the opt-out process before 20 January 2022.
- Note: Rates and/or coverage are subject to change in the upcoming session.
In the current climate of increasing health care costs, students on fixed incomes are particularly vulnerable. Each year, the prices of prescription drugs and essential health services take increasingly large portions out of limited student budgets. Postponement of necessary but expensive medical procedures can have disastrous consequences for students and even jeopardize their program’s completion.
Full-time graduate students are enrolled in these plans when they register, and the University collects fees in all three semesters for their individual plans. Students may extend coverage for an additional cost to their dependent(s), including spouse, common-law partner, same-sex partners, and their dependent children.
Please Note: All full-time graduate students (including international students that have opted out of the Foreign Health insurance) are automatically added to the GSU Health and Dental Plan(s). The students need to submit an opt-out form (and supporting documentation) before the OPT-OUT deadline in a given semester if they no longer want the insurance coverage.
- Opt-in/Opt-out period for Winter 2022: 6 January to 27 January
Tips and Things to Remember
- Please note that YOU are responsible for keeping track of your MUN financial account. You can access your MUN financial account by logging in to the MUN self-service page. We strongly advise students to check their accounts at least twice a semester, once before the deadline for fee payments (usually the first day of classes, please check the MUN diary) and again about 6-7 weeks into a particular semester, in order to detect any undesired charges.
- Due to restrictions on the MCP out-of-province coverage, international graduate students who are required to travel outside of the province of study for periods longer than 30 days must contact the MCP Office for an out of province certificate.
- For students who have successfully opted OUT from the GSU Health and Dental plan(s) the fees reversal should be visible in your account by the 6th week in a particular semester. Please contact us immediately if this is not the case.
- Part-time students are NOT Eligible for the GSU Health and Dental plans.
Eligibility: You must be a full-time registered MUN graduate student to be eligible for the GSU Health and Dental Plan(s). All full-time graduate students (including international students that have opted out of the Foreign Health insurance) are automatically added to the GSU Health and Dental Plan(s) UNLESS they submit an Opt OUT form (and supporting documentation) before the Opt OUT deadline in a given semester.
Insurance Card: Please note that you will NOT receive an insurance card, or an insurance policy, in the mail. You can personalize and print you own insurance card and download a benefits booklet by visiting the Green Shield Canada online student services website. Your plan ID is GSUyourstudentnumber-00.
Alternative Coverage: Opt-outs must include proof of existing coverage. If coverage extends past age 25 you must provide a proof once again.
To Opt-In to the Health and Dental Plan(s): Full-time students need to fill in an Opt IN form in order to be added to the plan in a semester beyond your first semester (e.g. if you have previously opted out of the plan). Students that change their student status after the start of their program (e.g. started as a part-time student but is required to change to full-time) need to contact the GSU immediately in order to discuss their options and avoid undesired charges. Paying any Health and Dental fees showing on your account without contacting us is NOT sufficient.
International students: International graduate students enrolled at Memorial University as full-time students are automatically enrolled in the Foreign Health Insurance (Guard Me) plan and the Green Shield Dental Insurance plan. To be enrolled in the Green Shield Canada Health Insurance plan, you will be required to have a valid provincial medical coverage (i.e., MCP) as your primary health care coverage.
•To opt-out of the foreign health insurance (Guard Me) plan and opt into the Green Shield Canada health insurance plan, visit the Internationalization Office website and follow the opt-out process before 20 January 2022.
You must be a full-time graduate student and upload a copy of your valid MCP. If your request is approved, you will automatically be enrolled into the Green Shield Canada health insurance plan. You can only opt into the GSU plan in September of each year or in the first semester you register as a graduate student. International students who live outside of Canada are not eligible for Green Shield coverage and must opt-out from both Green Shield Canada health and dental insurance before 27 January, 2022. Details are provided on the “Insurance Opt-Out” page.
Traveling Abroad: Your benefits include emergency travel insurance for trips lasting up to 60 days, provided by ETFS/Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada (Please see page 23-24 of your Benefits Booklet). For trips longer than 60 days, you must contact Green Shield to discuss your options.
Family Coverage: Dependents or family members can be added to your coverage annually during the Fall semester registration or in the first semester of your studies at MUN, whichever comes first. You are responsible for contacting GSU for the renewal of your family/couple coverage every academic year.
Status or Name Changes: You must notify the GSU for status (international student, permanent resident, Canadian citizen) or name changes within a week; we do not have this information automatically. If you fail to notify GSU about the status change, it may affect your insurance coverage, and GSU will not be responsible for it.
IF YOU ARE GRADUATING OR PLANNING TO GRADUATE, PLEASE MAKE A NOTE OF THE ABOVE DATES AS ANY CLAIMS MADE TO GREEN SHIELD CANADA AFTER THE LAST DAY OF A SEMESTER WILL RESULT IN CHARGE ON YOUR PLAN ACCOUNT. INSURANCE PROVIDER WILL NOT REVERSE FEES FOR USED PLANS.
If you are a new full-time graduate student or recently rejoined the plan, please remember that although you are covered for the above periods, it takes 6-7 weeks for Green Shield Canada to have all the new students’ information. Until then, please keep all of your receipts for reimbursement and filing claims. Shortly after that time, you should be able to avail of direct billing for most services.
Periods of coverage:
Fall: Begins September 1st and ends on December 31st
Winter: Begins January 1st and ends on April 30th
Spring/Summer: Begins May 1st and ends on August 31st
IF YOU ARE GRADUATING OR PLANNING TO GRADUATE PLEASE MAKE NOTE OF THE ABOVE DATES, AS ANY CLAIMS MADE BY GREEN SHIELD TO YOU AFTER THE 1ST DAY OF A SEMESTER WILL RESULT IN NO FEES BEING REVERSED OFF OF YOUR ACCOUNT. THERE WILL BE NO FEES REVERSED FOR USED PLANS.
If you are a new full-time graduate student or recently rejoined the plan, please remember that although you are also covered for the above periods, it takes 6-7 weeks for Green Shield Canada to have all the new students’ information. Until then, please keep all of your receipts for reimbursement. Shortly after that time, you should be able to avail of direct billing for most services.
1. For general health information, a 24-hour daily phone service: Newfoundland and Labrador HealthLine, toll-free 1-888-709-2929
2. List of physicians in St. John’s accepting new patients (telephone recording): Phone the Department of Health and Community Services, (709) 729-4984